The Eighth Street bookshop was located at the Southeast corner of Eighth and MacDougal, and was purchased by Ted and Eli Wilentz in 1947. The store went through an expansion in 1967, then moving to 17 West Eighth Street.
This bookshop was central to the Beat movement, providing many of the authors with inspiration. The owners, Ted and Eli Wilentz, eventually branched out into the publishing business, under the name Corinth Books, including 10 books of poetry. After 32 years with the bookshop, Eli Wilentz retired, and the store closed its doors in 1979.